Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Black Bean Portobello Quesadillas


It is WAY too hot here in Ojai to cook so I am trying to find quick and easy dinners that don't require turning the oven on.

4 whole wheat flour tortillas
2 large portobello mushroom caps (chopped)
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
1 cup of black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 jar diced pimiento (2oz jar, drained)
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sliced green onions
2 tbsp fresh cilantro

1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms; saute 2 minutes. Add vinegar, beans, and pimiento; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly until liquid evaporates. Mash bean mixture slightly with potato masher.

2. Spoon about 1/3 cup bean mixture onto each tortilla. Sprinkle evenly with cheese, cilantro and onions. Fold tortillas in half.

3. Heat skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place 2 quesadillas in pan ; cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden and cheese melts. Repeat with remaining 2 quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 3 wedges. Serve with low fat sour cream and salsa.

*Cold beer is optional, but highly recommended!

Serves 4 (serving size 3 wedges)

No comments:

Post a Comment