Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Monday, August 23, 2010

The Bacon Lettuce & Tomato....Salad?


I do love me some bacon, but lets face it, you can have too much of a good thing. This light and simple salad is a bit like taking apart a BLT sandwich. It is a great dinner salad for a hot summer night. Oh and did I mention...bacon vinaigrette?

6oz French bread baguette, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Cooking Spray
4 slices of bacon (get the good stuff, thick & hickory-smoked)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
6 cups torn romaine lettuce
2 cups of tomatoes (plum, roma, cherry whatever you like) sliced or chopped, but keep them kind of chunky)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. layer bread on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes or until toasted.
3. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tbsp drippings in pan. Stir oil into bacon drippings in pan; remove from heat. Stir in vinegar, pepper and salt. Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces.
4. Combine lettuce,and tomatoes in a large bowl. drizzle with vinaigrette. Add bread; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment