Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Shrimp Egg Rolls


These egg rolls are pan fried, so you still get a crispy outside without deep frying them!

1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (don't freak out~ you can find it in the Asian section of the market)
12 oz bean sprouts, roughly chopped
12 egg roll wrappers
12 cooked jumbo shrimp (peeled, deveined, and split in half lenghwise)
*Trader Joes has cooked frozen jumbo shrimp in a bag...works great!
6 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup grape seed oil (peanut oil would also be great)
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1. Combine 3 tbsp chili sauce and bean sprouts, tossing well to coat.
2. Working with 1 egg roll wrapper at a time, place wrapper onto work surface with one corner pointing toward you (like a diamond). Spoon about 2 big tbsps of bean sprout mixture into center of wrapper; top with 2 shrimp halves and a couple tsps of cilantro. Fold lower corner of wrapper over filling; fold in side corners. Moisten top corner of wrapper with water; roll up jelly-roll style. Place egg roll, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining wrappers and filling.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick skillet over med-high heat. Add 6 egg rolls, seam side down; cook 7 minutes or until golden, turning occasionally. Place on wire rack. Repeat with remaining oil and 6 more egg rolls.
4. Combine remaining 1 tbsp chili sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, and pepper. Serve dipping sauce on the side.

Serves 12

1 comment:

  1. This sounds very interesting - will have to add it to my list of new dishes

    ReplyDelete