Wednesday, February 24, 2010
I took the recipe from "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld and made a few changes. You would never guess these crunchy sweet bars have hidden greens! I made a large batch of spinach puree and have been adding it to Evan's pasta sauce...shhhh.
2 cups oats
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup butter or margarine chilled
1 cup blueberry jam
1/4 cup frozen blueberries (thawed)
1/2 cup pureed spinach *thaw frozen spinach and puree in food processor or cook down fresh leaves and puree
1. Preheat oven to 375. Coat 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
3. Add butter and cut with pastry blender, to form a coarse meal. You should still see pea-size chunks of butter.
4. Divide oat mixture in half. Set half aside, and press the rest firmly into pan. Bake about 15 minutes.
5. While the crust is baking mix the jam, blueberries, and spinach puree in a small bowl with a whisk.
6. Pour blueberry mixture over crust and top with remaining oat mixture. Bake 25 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
Makes 12 bars
*I imagine this would be great with any sort of berry. Or a mix of berries!