Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Spinach-Artichoke Dip

I made this for our Superbowl party and it was a big hit. The full fat version is almost 200 calories per serving. With a few changes you can cut the calories in half! The only thing you have to watch is what you dip with! Baked chips or low fat and/or whole wheat crackers would be great choices.

2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese (shredded)
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 can artichoke hearts (drained and chopped) *avoid the kind marinated in oil!!
2 8oz blocks of less-fat or fat-free cream cheese (softened)
1 package frozen chopped spinach (thaw, drain, and squeeze dry)

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, sour cream, 2 tbsp Parmesan, pepper, and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir until well blended. Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
3. Bake for 30 min until bubbly and golden brown.

*You can make this the day before your party cover and refrigerate. Bake it just before serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment