Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Blue Cheese Burgers


The blue cheese and caramelized onions are perfect toppings for this burger. This recipe is quick and easy but looks and tastes very impressive!

2 tsp olive oil
4 cups onion (sliced)
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb ground sirloin
2 tbsp onion (grated)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 garlic cloves (minced)
Cooking spray
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
4 hamburger buns
4 green leaf lettuce leaves
4 slices of tomato (about 1/4 inch thick)

1. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan. Add sliced onion and 1/4 tsp salt; cook 18 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally.
2. Combine 1/4 tsp salt, beef, grated onion, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, & garlic in bowl. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2 inch thick patty. *Make a dimple in the middle of each patty with your fingers that will insure a flat patty once it is cooked instead of a dome!
3. Spray grill rack or non-stick pan with cooking spray. Grill 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Top each patty with 1 tbsp of cheese during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
4. Grill or toast buns. Place the bottom halves of buns on plates, top each with one lettuce leaf, one tomato slice, 1 patty, 1/4 cup of onion, and one roll top.

Serves 4

*I served these burgers with sweet potato fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment