Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ham & Veggi Chowder (Slow Cooker)


'Tis the season! Nights are getting chilly and comfort food is needed. It is also a busy time for me as Mommy and as Artist, so effortless comfort food is key. That is why I LOVE LOVE LOVE my slow cooker. Everything in one pot = less dishes for me to wash later. Set it while my son eats his breakfast or lunch and forget it = more time to play later. The outcome; a warm, comforting, & tasty dinner = Win Win!

*Cook time for this dish 6-7 hours on low setting or 3 hours on high

2 cups red potatoes (chopped)
8 oz cooked ham (chopped)
1 cup onion (chopped)
1 cup carrot (chopped)
1 14.5oz can cream-style corn
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 14oz cans chicken broth
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup frozen peas

1. In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, ham, onion, carrot, corn, and pepper. Pour broth over all.
2. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high heat for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
3. In a small bowl combine milk and flour; stir well with a whisk. Stir into chowder in cooker along with cheese and peas. If cooking on low-heat setting, turn to high-heat. Cook for 20 minutes more. Stir again before serving.

*Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment