Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Potato Soup


This hearty soup is great for chilly nights. It is almost like taking a baked potato and turning it into a soup. The perfect comfort food!

4 red potatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
3 tbsp flour
2 cups low fat milk
1/4 cup low fat sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 bacon slices (cut in half)
1/3 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
4 tsp green onion (thinly sliced)

1. Peel potatoes then cut in half and place in large pot. Fill with water to just cover potatoes. Boil potatoes until fork tender. Cook bacon until crisp set aside to drain on a paper towel.
2. While potatoes are cooking, heat oil in a dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 3 minutes. Add broth.
Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk stir with a whisk add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to boil; stir often. Cook for about 1 minute then remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
3. Crumble bacon and set aside. Drain potatoes and coarsely mash them into soup. Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment