Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cranberry Pork Tenderloin on Pear Salad


This dish almost felt Christmasy to me. The flavors are very rich and the colors are so pretty!

1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp garlic (minced)
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 lb pork tenderloin (trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices)
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup shallots (sliced)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup cranberry juice cocktail
6 cups baby spinach
1 ripe pear (thinly sliced)

1. Combine vinegar, mustard, sugar, 1/2 tsp garlic, and 1/4 tsp thyme; set aside.
2. Combine pork and remaining 1 tsp garlic, remaining 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper; toss well to coat.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots to saucepan; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cranberries and juice; cook about 2 minutes until liquid is reduced. Reduce heat to medium low. Add vinegar mixture; cook 1 minute. Gradually add 1 tbsp oil, remaining 1/4 tsp salt, and remaining 1/4 tsp pepper, stirring well with a whisk. Cover and keep warm.
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of pork to skillet; cook 3 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove pork from skillet. Repeat with remaining pork.
5. Combine spinach and pear in a large bowl. Drizzle half of cranberry mixture over salad and toss well to coat. Arrange about 2 cups of salad on each plate; top evenly with pork. Drizzle remaining cranberry mixture over the pork.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment