Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Butternut Squash Lasagna

I have worked and re-worked this recipe for quite a while. I feel now that it is perfect, possibly the best thing I know how to make. Oh and believe it or not, there isn't any meat in this dish, and it is still good!
This lasagna takes time, and care, but oh is it worth it in the end.
*Sorry I forgot to take a picture of it, but it was eaten to quickly!

12oz whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 butternut squash
3 cups tomato sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
4 shallots (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 1/2 lbs fresh baby spinach
32 oz Ricotta Cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
3 eggs (beaten)
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb mozzarella cheese (grated)
Dash of oregano and fresh basil to taste

1. Peel and slice butternut squash. Toss squash in a large bowl with oil and salt. Spread squash in one layer on baking sheet. Roast in 400 degree oven until golden brown on both sides.
2. Cook lasagna. In the meantime, heat olive oil in skillet. Saute shallots and garlic 5 min. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Add tomato sauce, stir and remove from heat. Add ricotta, 3/4 cup parmesan, eggs, salt, basil, and oregano.
3. Oil baking pan. Pour in small amount of sauce and put down a single layer of noodles. Spread layer of spinach mixture over noodles, a layer of mozzarella cheese, and a layer of squash, top with more mozzarella.
4. Continue to layer. Top the lasagna with a layer of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
5. Bake at 350 for 50 min.

*I like an extra browned top so I hit the lasagna with the broiler for a few minutes after it is finished baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment