Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Beef and Broccoli


2 tbsp sherry
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 lb boneless sirloin steak (cut diagonally across grain into thin slices)
1/2 cup beef broth
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tsp Sriracha (hot chile sauce)
2 tbsp grape seed oil
1 tbsp fresh ginger (grated)
2 tsp garlic (minced)
4 cups broccoli florets
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1 cup uncooked brown rice

1. Cook rice according to directions.
2. While rice finishes cooking, combine 1 tbsp sherry, 1 tbsp soy sauce, sugar, and beef in bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, stir together 1 tbsp sherry, 1 tbsp soy sauce, broth, cornstarch, hoisin, and Sriracha with a whisk.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add beef mixture; saute 3 min or until browned. Remove beef from pan. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to pan. Add ginger and garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broccoli and water; cook 1 min. Add onions; cook 1 min, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture and beef mixture; cook 2 min or until beef is thoroughly heated and sauce is slightly thick. Serve over rice.

Serves 4

1 comment: