Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Lasagna Rolls


I love lasagna, but sometimes it is labor intensive. These lasagna rolls are a nice change from the layered pasta.

Lasagna:

8 uncooked lasagna noodles
4 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
8oz sliced mushrooms
6oz fresh baby spinach
3 garlic cloves (minced)
1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tbsp minced fresh basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Sauce:

1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (7 oz) bottle roasted red bell peppers, undrained
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375. Cook noodles according to package, omitting salt and oil. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, spinach, and 3 garlic cloves; saute 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and next 3 ingredients.
3. To prepare sauce, blend together vinegar, salt, pepper, tomatoes bell peppers, and red pepper with blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
4. Place cooked noodles on a flat surface, spread 1/4 cup cheese mixture over each noodle. Roll up noodles, jelly-roll style, starting with short side. Place rolls, seam side down in baking dish. Pour sauce over rolls, and cover with foil. Bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese, bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment