Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mississippi Mud Pie


This is my lighter version of my mother-in-law's recipe for Mississippi Mud Pie. It is one of my husband's favorite desserts so I made it this year for is birthday instead of a cake.

Graham Cracker Crust

*This crust is a bit lower in fat than many you may find ready made at the store. The egg white acts as a binder and you end up using less butter.

40 graham crackers (10 full cracker sheets)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter (melted)
1 egg white
cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place crackers in a food processor; process until crumbly. Add sugar, butter and egg white; pulse about 6 times or just until moist. Press crumb mixture into a 9 inch pie dish coated in cooking spray. Bake for 8 minutes; cool completely on a wire rack.



Bittersweet Chocolate Pudding


* Reduced fat milk helps to cut the fat just a bit!

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp dark brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
4 cups 2% milk
3 egg yolks (lightly beaten)
2 oz bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over med. heat, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute, keep stirring!
2. Place egg yolks in a bowl. VERY gradually add hot milk mixture to egg yolks, stirring constantly (if you add too fast you will scramble your eggs). Return milk mixture to pan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and add chopped chocolate and vanilla extract, stirring until chocolate melts. Spoon pudding into a small bowl. Place bowl in a large ice-filled bowl for 15 minutes or until pudding is cool, stirring occasionally. Remove bowl from ice, cover the surface of pudding with plastic wrap and chill.


Whipped Cream

* I prefer real whipped cream..so I don't skimp here I go for the heavy cream!

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Whip cream until almost stiff. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until cream holds peaks. Set aside.


Cream Cheese Filling

*Low fat cream cheese another way to cut the fat a bit

8 ounces low fat cream cheese (softened)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla

1. Whip cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla together until just combined. Gently fold in half of your whipped cream into Cream cheese mixture.


Layer the Mississippi Mud Pie

1. Spread cream cheese filling over cooled graham cracker crust.
2. Spoon cooled chocolate pudding over cream cheese filling. Spread into a smooth layer.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
4. Top pie with remaining whipped cream, and sprinkle with shaved chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment