Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lauren's Chipotle Grilled Pork with Strawberry Avocado Salsa


For the Pork:
2 Tbs minced chipotle chilies, canned in Adobo sauce
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
3/4 cup sliced onion
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin, trimmed if necessary
1/2 teaspoon salt

For the Salsa:
1 quart fresh strawberries, rinsed and cut up
2/3 cup peeled avocado, chopped
2 Tbs thinly sliced scallions
2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

To prepare the pork:
In a large ziplock plastic bag, combine the chilies, lime juice, onion and garlic. Add the pork, then seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours (or more if you want). Turn the bag occasionally.
When ready to cook, preheat a gas grill to high. Remove the pork from the bag and discard the marinade. Sprinkle with salt.
Place pork on the rack and grill over indirect heat, turning occasionally for 20 minutes or until the thermometer registers 155.
Remove meat from the heat and let stand 10 minutes, then slice crosswise.

To prepare salsa:
In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, avocado, scallions, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Toss gently and serve immediately over the sliced pork.

**Lil note: the first few times we followed the recipe exactly; but we really like a lot of salsa with our pork, so we started just "eyeballing" it with the salsa and making a bigger batch. And my hubby(master BBQ'er that he is) grills the meat his own way, but still pulls it off the heat when it reaches 155. So, the recipe is pretty flexible, if you want to tweak it to your liking. We've also baked the pork before too (when the weather was bad, and it came out just as yummy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment