Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Beer-Braised Beef


The ultimate comfort food dish! I used my husband Win's home brew beer for this recipe since it is always on tap at our house. When looking for a beer to use in this dish keep in mind, you want the beer to be dark but not too strong. A stout for example would be too overpowering, you just want a touch of toasted malt flavor and just a little hop bitterness.
*This is not a quick recipe. Give yourself a few hours to prepare this one!

3 tbsp flour
1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
1 lb boneless chuck roast (trimmed)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup beef broth
4 garlic cloves
1 12 oz dark beer
1 bay leaf
3 carrots (peeled & cut diagonally into 1/2inch slices)
9 oz small turnips (peeled and cut into wedges)
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

1. Preheat oven to 300
2. Place flour in a shallow dish. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef evenly on all sides with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper; dredge in flour. Add beef to pan; cook 10 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Add broth, garlic, beer, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, scraping pan to remove browned bits. Cover and bake at 300 for 1 1/2 hours. Add carrots; cover and cook 25 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 tsp salt, turnips, and onion; cover and cook an additional 1 hour and 5 minutes until vegetables are tender and beef is fork tender.
3. Remove beef and vegetables from pan; discard bay leaf. cover beef mixture; keep warm. Let cooking liquid stand 10 minutes. Separate cooking liquid and fat; discard fat. Serve cooking liquid with beef and vegetables. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tbsp parsley.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment