Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Amy's Snobby Joe's



From the cookbook "Veganomicon":

Snobby Joe's
Serves 4 to 6

I adjusted this a bit - we don't like bell pepper so that was taken out. I also added shredded carrot as a garnish. The best part is that we had lunch or dinner for a couple of days. It satisfied all of our needs for meals at work and home. Plus it just got better every day. My hubby is a PICKY eater and he loved it!

1 cup cooked lentils
4 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium-size yellow onion, cut into small dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
4-6 kaiser rolls or sesame buns, sliced in half

Pour the lentils and water into a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.

About 10 minutes before the lentils are done, pre-heat a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute for a minute more.

Stir in the cooked lentils, chile powder, oregano, and salt. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup to taste (I recommend 1-2 tablespoons) and the mustard and heat through.

Turn off the heat and let the pot sit for about 10 minutes so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can't wait!

HUSBAND RATING: 8.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment