Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Shrimp in Peanut Sauce

This dish is all about the peanut sauce! I think it would be just as great with chicken or tofu.
It seems complicated, but it was super easy!

Sauce:
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp chili paste with garlic *I like "Lee Kum Kee Chili Garlic Paste") it comes in a jar in the Asian section of the grocery store
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Shrimp:
1 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined) *Trader Joes has 1lb frozen shrimp uncooked in a bag, very convenient!
1/4 tsp salt

Pasta:
8 oz uncooked udon noodles (you can use linguine if you can't find udon)
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin julienne strips
3/4 cup chopped cucumber (peeled and seeded)
1/4 up chopped green onions
3 tbsp chopped peanuts
2 tbsp chopped cilantro

1. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and stir with a whisk. Set aside
(add more water if sauce seems too think..it should be the consistency of cream)
2. Start noodles according to package directions omitting salt and fat.
3. Coat nonstick skillet in cooking spray. Toss Shrimp with 1/4 tsp salt and Saute over medium high heat about 3 min on each side or until done. Add red bell pepper and green onions saute for another minute then remove from heat.
4. As soon as noodles are done, combine noodles, peanut sauce, shrimp mixture, and cucumber into a large bowl and toss well. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro.

Serves 4

Win's husband rating: 9

1 comment:

  1. I'd be happy if this is what I got after ordering from a good Thai restaurant. It's not the lowest-calorie meal ever but not bad. Try it, it is super tasty and if you're a vegetamarian don't be afraid to substitute tofu for the shrimp...but then again the tofu is higher in fat and calories and lower in protein than the shrimp and certainly not as nummy, so think twice.

    ReplyDelete