Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Spinach-Meat Loaf

This meat loaf was fast, easy, and yummy! The combo of ground turkey and ground beef adds flavor and cuts the calories. It is also packed with greens! I hardly noticed the spinach and I am hoping my 16 month old son doesn't either!


1 cup Matzo Meal (dry breadcrumbs)
3 garlic cloves minced
1 cup chopped onion (fine chop)
1/2 cup 1% milk
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 egg whites
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
1/2 lb lean ground beef
20 oz frozen spinach (thaw, then drain in a sieve, squeeze as much of the liquid out as you can)
1/2 cup ketchup

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray, place over medium-high heat. Saute onion for about 3 minutes then add garlic, saute for about 1 minute. Then remove skillet from heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine breadcrumbs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, egg whites, spinach, ground turkey and ground beef. Add onion mixture, and mix well with your hands.
4. Coat a baking sheet or broiler pan with cooking spray. Shape meat mixture into a 12in x 5in loaf on baking sheet. Spread the ketchup over the top and sides of loaf. Bake at 350 for about 45 min. Let stand a few minutes before slicing.

*8 servings (serving size 1 slice)

I served this with blanched, seasoned green beans and Mashed Cauliflower (another veggi in disguise)






1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this one. I love the idea of the mashed cauliflower. Keep the awesome recipes coming.

    - Crystal Taylor
    (One of Win's Co-Workers)

    ReplyDelete