Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lauren's Healthy Chili Recipe

Best Chili Recipe there is...and pretty darn healthy too! :-)

Seems to be a major hit with the guys...all the ones in my family go nuts when I make it.

1 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion
2 to3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey or chicken
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbs chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups low-sodium fat free chicken broth
1 cup dark beer
2 tbs tomato paste
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
1 cup colored bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup kale, stemmed, and chopped/torn into bite sized pieces
1 carrot, grated
1/4 cup cashews, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1-2 tbs fresh lime juice

In a 4-6 quart saute pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent (apprx. 5 min) Add the turkey and cook until browned (apprx. 5-6 min) Add the oregano, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and salt, saute for 2 mins. Pour in the broth and beer. Stir in tomato paste. Add the kidney beans, black beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, kale, and carrot. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 mins. stirring occasionally. Add the cashews and cook (5-7 mins). Add the cilantro and lime juice.

Recipe from The Healthiest Meals On Earth by Jonny Bowden

1 comment: