Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Thai Steak Salad

This salad is full of flavor and the steak makes it hearty enough for dinner. Big Hit!

3/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp chili paste with garlic ( found in the Asian section of the super market)
2 tbsp Thai fish sauce (also in the Asian section)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (1 1/2 lb) London Broil Steak or Flank Steak
1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 1/2 cups sliced red onion
6 cups mixed greens
1 cup sliced cucumber
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

1. Preheat broiler, grill pan, or start outdoor grill.
2. Combine lime juice, cilantro, sugar, chili paste, fish sauce, and garlic. Stir until sugar dissolves, pour half mixture into a large zip lock bag. Reserve the other half for later. Add steak to bag and seal. Marinate in refrigerator for 10 minutes. Make sure to turn the steak over after 5 minutes. to marinate both sides. Remove steak from bag and place on grill coated in cooking spray. Grill about 6 minutes on each side and let stand a few minutes before you cut it. Slice steak thinly across the grain.
3. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Saute red onion for about 4 minutes then add tomatoes, saute another 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add salad greens, cucumber, and mint into a large salad bowl. Add onion mixture and toss. Place salad on plates. Top with slices of steak and drizzle a couple tablespoons of the reserved lime mixture over the top.

Serves 6
Win's Husband Rating: 9

1 comment:

  1. The lime dressing adds serious flavor to this meal and it's a lot more filling that you'd expect. Really a very tasty meal and if you use lean and fresh steak it's as good for you as it it delicous.

    ReplyDelete