Search This Blog

Holy Cow...I Can Cook?

I started this food blog New Years 2010 to force myself to get in the kitchen and teach myself how to cook. Well it has been a year, and it turns out, cooking isn't so hard after all. I kept the promise I made to myself and cooked healthy yummy meals for my family all year. Once I just got in there, read the recipes, and experimented I found cooking is yet another form of artistic expression. Just like with my art, I let go of the fear of failure and found a new passion.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Zucchini Bread with Citrus Icing


This zucchini bread was nice and moist. Yet another way for me to hide a green veggi from my son. The icing is just enough to satisfy your sweet-tooth!

2 1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup shredded zucchini (make sure to finely shred)
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/4 cup grape seed oil
2 tbsp lemon zest
1 egg

1 cup powdered sugar (pour it through a fine mesh sieve or sifter to eliminate lumps)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lime juice

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl stir with a whisk. Combine zucchini, milk, oil, zest and egg in another bowl. Add zucchini mixture to dry ingredients. Stir to combine, do not over mix!
3. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray and spoon batter in. Bake for 45 minutes. Check with toothpick... if it comes out clean it is done, if not it may need a few more minutes. Cool loaf on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
4. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, lemon, and lime juice. Stir with a whisk. Drizzle icing over the top of loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment